Friday, April 8, 2011

Sunflowers' Song

Somehow, this slightly sad song was produced while I was in a very cheerful mood.  After I wrote it, someone mentioned that National Child Abuse Prevention Month which is why there are blue ribbons everywhere (in the States).  So maybe I had forgotten and wrote it subconsciously(?).  
It's primarily based on several conversations with a dearly loved friend who does amazing work with young children (there is also a little bit of the beautiful children I had the privilege of working with during my social work internship).  

So now you know what the blue ribbons mean.  And the truth is, many of us are in positions to see children closely enough to know if we should be keeping an extra eye on their situation.  For such is the kingdom of heaven.



Sunflowers' Song
VERSE 1
See the little babies and they're walking down the street; 
Singing little lullabies to an extraordinary beat.
Oh it's true, I cry too, when I see the way they live. 
They walk through hard doors and on cold floors on baby bare feet

CHORUS Baby, baby, "Maybe," you say, "It's better this way." 
            Baby, baby, "Maybe," you say, "They should never have stayed."

VERSE 2
Into your room they wander and you teach them how to eat, 
Or how to pay their bills and take their pills 
And to their face you'd never admit defeat.
It makes you angry, I understand; when I held your tender hand... 
It seems the hard world brought you a cold soul 
And too many wounds to mend. (chorus x2)


VERSE 3                                                                                                                                    See the little babies as they're walkin' down the street. 
Turning like sunflowers to every smiling eye they meet. 
Your heart is breaking every day. And sometimes you say you wanna run.
They bloom in hard times and in cold ground and to them you are the sun. 
They bloom through hard times and in the cold ground and to them you are the sun. 

(WHOOPS NOTE: I say "cold scround" the first time because I was thinking of singing "cold soil" or "cold ground" and combined it...heh)

2 comments: